The Pros and Cons of Open Adoption for Birth Mothers in Missouri
Are you a birth mother who has chosen adoption but is having trouble deciding which type of adoption is right for you? After all, what exactly is an open adoption? What are the benefits of an open adoption? What other types of adoption are available to you? You may be feeling a bit overwhelmed with similar questions and more. It’s OK. Take a deep breath, slowly breathing in and out. Relax. Adoption Choices of Missouriis here to help answer all of your adoption questions. Whichever type of adoption you choose, we are here to help you every step of the way.
The Three Different Types of Adoption Available When You Place Your Baby for Adoption Through an Adoption Agency in Missouri
There are three types of adoption: open, closed, and semi-open adoption. A closed adoption is when there is no identifying information left behind by the birth mother or the adoptive family. The birth mother and adoptive family do not stay in touch and have no way of contacting each other.
A semi-open adoption falls somewhere between the other two options by limiting contact to written communication. These letters or emails are usually shared indirectly through some sort of third party.
An open adoption is when the birth mother and adoptive family share identifying contact information. Both parties agree on a set of rules or guidelines in order to stay in touch directly, via in-person visits, phone calls, texts, and e-mails. Our adoption agency strongly encourages open adoption because we believe that it keeps everyone’s best interests at heart.
The Pros of Open Adoption for Birth Mothers in Missouri
- Maintain a healthy relationship with your baby and the adoptive family. In an open adoption, you won’t have to worry and wonder from afar whether or not your baby and the adoptive family are OK, because you’ll be able to simply ask them how they are doing. You will be able to watch your child grow up throughout the years. You will get to see and know the kind of person your baby grows up to be.
- Answer questions your child may have about why they were placed for adoption. Your child will not have to grow up without understanding why you placed them for adoption. You will be able to explain to them why you had to make this caring and selfless decision for their benefit and why it was the best option for everyone involved. You will have the opportunity to explain to them how hard this was for you and how you felt the need to give them a chance at a better life through adoption.
- You are in control of your open adoption. As the birth mother, you are the one who establishes the ground rules. You are the one who chooses to place your baby for adoption, you get to set the criteria and pick the adoptive family, and you get to set the visitation guidelines. You have the final say on what you are willing to compromise on and what is non-negotiable.
- A licensed adoption agency means that your baby will be going to a safe and loving home, no matter what. Our full-service, licensed adoption agency provides pre-screened and qualified families for your open adoption. All of the adoptive families shown in our family portfolios have undergone a rigorous home study before being approved. This means that you will be placing your baby in a loving and nurturing home, no matter which family you pick.
The Cons of Open Adoption for Birth Mothers in Missouri
- There may be a confusion of parental roles. When you place your baby for adoption, you waive your parental rights. This means that you will not have the final say if you disagree with the adoptive family’s decisions or parenting styles.
- There is less of the closure and privacy that come with a closed or semi-open adoption. Open adoption is not right for everyone. For some birth mothers, it is too much of a painful reminder. For others, it does not offer the discretion they seek. If you are looking for closure or anonymity, then a closed or semi-open adoption may be a better suit for you.
- It will not always be possible to stay in touch or visit with your baby and the adoptive family. It is always important to be realistic and manage expectations when it comes to adoption. Your baby and their adoptive family may simply be too busy with their own lives to see you for every holiday and family reunion. Although you will get to see them throughout the years, it will not always be possible to plan a visit or keep in contact as much as you would like.
Is Open Adoption Right for You? Call Our Missouri Adoption Agency Today to Find Unplanned Pregnancy Help
An unplanned pregnancy can feel very stressful and overwhelming, but choosing a type of adoption and making your adoption plan does not have to be. Our agency’s adoption specialists are ready and waiting to help you place your baby for adoption. Your adoption caseworker will help you weigh all of your adoption options and work to ensure that you pick the best type of adoption to suit your needs. The sooner you contact our adoption agency, the sooner we can get started helping you with your adoption process.
Adoption Choices of Missouri serves birth parents statewide and beyond, please call us or text us to learn more! Call us toll free at 877-903-4488 or, in Missouri call or text us at 1-816-527-9800
Meet the Author: Kelly Felix is a graduate from the University of New Orleans. She holds a BA in English as well as a BA in Sociology. Her English concentration is in journalism, and her specialties in sociology are gender studies and environmental sociology.
When she isn’t voraciously guzzling coffee or devouring books, Kelly can be found either bent over a canvas working on her art or at her computer playing video games. She has hands-on classroom teaching experience from her time working as a substitute teacher for Kelly Services. Kelly also completed an in-house editorial internship at Pelican Publishing Company, and she finished the goal internship program at Green Light New Orleans. Kelly generally exists in a state of suspended disbelief, but when she’s not there she resides in New Orleans.