Counseling and Emotional Support for Birth Mothers in Missouri
By Samara Wiley
Experiencing an unplanned pregnancy can be such an overwhelming time for you. You may feel like you are doing this alone, your circumstances may not fit with being a parent to your child right now. Whether you are pregnant and struggling in life, well into your career, or a second-time expectant mother — remember you are not alone! At Adoption Choices of Missouri, we are here to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and fully support you throughout your adoption process. We provide free services — including counseling and emotional support for birth mothers in Missouri — to ensure that you have a safe, happy, and positive experience with us. If you’re giving a child up for adoption in Missouri, our experienced adoption counselors can offer you a confidential and private place for you to process your thoughts and feelings about your unexpected pregnancy and the adoption process.
As a birth mother, you have chosen the difficult but wonderful decision of adoption. We understand that you may feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster right now. But you’re in good hands. Here are three amazing resources to help ease your anxiety and bring you comfort as you place your baby for adoption.
Counseling and Emotional Support for Birth Mothers
1. One-on-One – At Adoption Choices of Missouri, we offer one-on-one private and personalized counseling sessions. You get to meet with us and discuss your questions or concerns with one of our licensed Birth Parent Counselors. The counselor will first lead you through your three options: parenting, termination, or placing your baby for adoption. If you decide that adoption is the best option for both you and your baby, you will be assigned an adoption caseworker who will assist you every step of the way in your adoption journey.
2. Support Groups – Finding emotional support will help you feel less alone and help calm your anxiety. Support groups are a great way to do this — especially those created just for birth mothers. You will get to meet other women going through a similar experience — whether they are just getting started in the adoption process, somewhere in the middle, or have already placed their baby up for adoption. This can offer an overwhelming sense of support, comfort, and encouragement as you relate to the women around you.
3. Birth Mother Retreats – Along the same lines, birth mother retreats allow you to share your unique adoption stories and understand your feelings about your own personal adoption story over a weekend or longer period of time. These retreats will help you create lifelong bonds with other birth mothers and establish an inner cycle of comfort, encouragement, and support. After all, you all have a huge, life-changing decision in common — the unselfish sacrifice to give your child a home he or she deserves.
Questions to Ask During a Counseling Session as a Birth Mother
As a birth mother going through the adoption process, you may have some questions or concerns. For instance, here are three questions that we hear from many of our birth mothers:
I’m considering adoption for my baby, but…
- What will my child think of me? As your child grows up, he or she will come to understand why you placed them up for adoption. Why you chose this decision? If you choose an open or semi-open adoption agreement with your child’s adoptive parents, you will be able to tell your son or daughter that it was because you wanted to give them a better life. That you did this out of love.
- Will I regret my decision? This is an understandable fear that many birth mothers have. As you journey through the adoption process, you will feel the full range of emotions — both positive and negative. One of the negative emotions you feel may include regret. However, know that this is natural and part of the grieving process. It’s ok to feel and process. Adoption, as great as it is, isn’t easy. But, remember, you can always speak with your counselor about any and all emotions you experience.
- How do I handle questions about my child’s adoption? You can choose to explain the reasons behind your child’s adoption in any way you want. There are countless ways to answer questions from friends and family, and you shouldn’t feel shame about answering them. At the same time, if there is a question that you feel uncomfortable answering, you are not obligated to. After all, this is your adoption journey. You don’t need to defend your reason for choosing adoption for your child.
Counseling and Emotional Support as a Birth Mother in Missouri
Placing your baby for adoption is an incredibly selfless and brave choice. It’s going to also involve many emotions that you may need help processing. This is perfectly natural! That’s where having that counseling and emotional support as a birth mother comes in handy.
At Adoption Choices of Missouri, we are here to provide you with the care that you and your baby need. We will support and guide you through this difficult but rewarding decision in your life. Remember, you are not alone! You and your baby’s well-being is our top priority. It’s never too late to receive the emotional support that you need as a birth mother.