Choosing an Adoptive Family as a Birth Mother
By Katy Reagan
Facing an unplanned pregnancy can leave you feeling unsure of what to do. We know you just want your baby to have the best life possible. Adoption Choices of Missouri can help make that happen. We walk you through the entire adoption process, making sure you have full control. You choose your baby’s adoptive family to make sure they have the loving, safe environment you want. Our agency is made up of real people who want to help you. Many of our birth mothers still stay in touch with their adoptive families and our counselors.
5 types of adoptive families
- Same-sex couples: One of our birth mothers, Jessica, chose a gay couple as her baby’s adoptive family. By doing this, she was able to give them a chance to have a child. Same-sex couples can love and provide for children the same as straight couples.
- Single parent: It is harder for a single parent than a couple to adopt. While this is the reality, it isn’t fair. Single parents provide homes just as stable and loving as adoptive couples. If you choose a single parent, you are giving them an opportunity they’ve never had.
- Traditional Family: Some birth mothers may prefer their child to grow up with both a mother and father. The traditional family–a married mother and father–is an option for birth mothers. No matter your child’s gender, they will have someone to look up to and learn from.
- Military family: A military adoptive family may be the best option for you if you grew up in a military family. You might be thankful for how much you were able to travel and want the same for your child. This type of adoptive family has the structure necessary to raise a successful child.
- Transracial family: A transracial family is of a different race, ethnicity, or culture than your child. This is a wonderful option for a birth mother wanting their child to be exposed to different cultures. This grows an appreciation for diversity.
How Adoption Choices of Missouri reviews adoptive families
If you are pregnant and considering adoption, your biggest concern right now is protecting your child. So how do adoption agencies in Missouri review possible adoptive families? Adoption Choices of Missouri thoroughly evaluates our families to make sure they can provide the safe home you want. We require background checks, medical records, and home visits.
Adoptive families must fill out an adoption application. This gives us important information about them and outlines how the adoption process will go. Our counselors will visit their homes to learn more about them and evaluate the living space. Our counselors also educate and prepare adoptive families for adoption.
When the family creates an adoptive family profile to tell birth mothers about them, the matching process begins.
Beginning the matching process in Missouri adoption agencies
To begin the matching process, all you have to do is contact us. We have adoption specialists available 24/7 to speak to you about your options. You will meet your Birth Parent Counselor to outline your wants and needs. Then, together you will review adoptive family profiles. These will be families that we think you will fit well with. You have the final say on the family you want to adopt your child.
Once you’ve been matched with the family of your choice, you will create an adoption plan. This will outline how you want the adoption process to go. You can choose between an open, semi-open, or closed adoption. With open adoption, you will have full communication with the adoptive family and your child. You will have limited communication through our secure channel in a semi-open adoption. In a closed adoption, there will be zero communication or identifying information.
Amber, one of our birth mothers, speaks about how open adoption was the best thing for her. With our help, she was able to create a better life for herself and help another family adopt. She spoke openly with them before the adoption, and they still have a relationship today. She gets pictures of her son every month and sees him once a year. Through Adoption Choices of Missouri, she is able to still play a big role in his life.
The adoption process is personalized for you
You have probably Googled “Adoption agencies near me” and “Adoption Springfield MO” to find the right adoption agency for you. At Adoption Choices of Missouri, we get to know you to make sure we’re the right fit. Adoption is never an easy choice, but we walk you through the entire process. Our Birth Parent Counselors are with you from the first phone call.
One of our birth mothers, Cassie, speaks about how personalized the process was for her. When she was unable to drive, her adoption specialists drove her to sign the final paperwork. Our birth mothers and their Birth Parent Counselors stay in touch after the adoption is finalized. We are invested in your health, happiness, and success. When you need advice, legal help, or even a place to stay, we will help you get it.
If you are a pregnant woman searching for guidance on adoption and choosing an adoptive family. Adoption Choices of Missouri serves birth parents statewide and beyond. Please call us or text us to learn more! Call us toll-free at 877-903-4488 or, in Missouri, call or text us at 816-527-9800.