Finding Closure with a Closed Adoption in Missouri
Self-Care Tips for Birth Mothers
There are many different reasons why a birth mother might choose a closed adoption. For many birth mothers, closed adoption is the right choice because it allows them to move forward with their life without painful reminders. Some of the benefits of a closed adoption include, but are not limited to:
- A clean break for everyone involved
- More privacy, less judgement from others
- Financial freedom
- No familial obligations or commitments
Choosing adoption is always a difficult decision, but the sudden ending of a closed adoption can be particularly painful and upsetting. A clean break may seem like the best way for everyone to move on, but it is only natural that you may feel left behind with some feelings of guilt or grief over the loss of parenthood. That is exactly why Adoption Choices of Missouri is here to help you through this tough and trying time.
The Top 5 Ways for Birth Mothers in Missouri to Find Closure with a Closed Adoption
1) Therapy for your mental well-being. While talking out your feelings seems like the most obvious solution, you’d be surprised by how many people go without therapy because they can’t afford it or don’t have access to it. Fortunately, our adoption agency offers therapy throughout the adoption process, and even after it is completed. We understand that placing your baby for adoption can be a very emotional and challenging experience. That is exactly why we offer access to mental health counseling and emotional support for birth mothers throughout the adoption process and after, during post-placement.
2) Take care of your body. You’ve heard it many times before on social media, but here it is again: self-care. Hydrate. Treat yourself. Pick up a new hobby to keep yourself busy. Push yourself to do some things you might not want to do for the sake of your health, like breaking a sweat exercising. Not only will exercising help you shed some of that pregnancy weight, but also studies show that exercise has many mental health benefits. It is important that you take care of your body so that it can take care of you.
3) Meditation ceremonies to help you heal. Meditation is a great way to directly address and deal with your emotions. For some birth mothers, meditating while playing some calming music and sitting upright on a pillow while sifting through their feelings is enough. For others, it is easier to let go or move on from major emotional states with an external physical ceremony, like a healing ritual. For those who want to find peace after their closed adoption, lighting a candle can symbolize change and transformation. As the candle burns down, you can meditate on your pregnancy journey and adoption process. Once the candle is extinguished, envision your suffering being extinguished as well. Imagine your sorrows dispersing and wafting away with the smoke.
4) Shared experiences with other birth mothers. It is much easier to go through such a huge and life-changing experience knowing that you are not alone. There are thousands of other birth mothers out there who want to hear your story and share theirs with you. Blogs, message boards, and discussion groups are a great way to meet and connect with other birth mothers. Attending a birth mother support group — in person or virtually — is also recommended. Through sharing your own story and hearing what other birth mothers have gone through, you can find a sense of community if you are feeling lost or alone.
5) Peace of mind through a good adoption agency. Pick an adoption agency that offers you peace of mind. Adoption Choices of Missouri is a full-service, licensed adoption agency. This means that all of our adoptive families are pre-screened and pre-qualified. Our adoptive families are only approved after undergoing a rigorous home-life inspection called a home study. Even if you decide to opt out of picking the adoptive family yourself, you can rest assured knowing that your baby is going to a safe and loving, nurturing home.
Call Our Adoption Agency Today to Find Out if a Closed Adoption is Right for You
Closed adoption is not for everyone. It is important that you make sure you find the right type of adoption for you. The two other types of adoption you may want to consider are open adoption and semi-open adoption. Your adoption caseworker will be able to provide you with some more information on the different adoption types and help you to decide which adoption option is right for you.
Whether or not you are looking to find closure with a closed adoption, Adoption Choices of Missouri is here for you. No matter what type of adoption you choose, our adoption caseworkers are ready and waiting to help you make an adoption plan suited to your needs. Your adoption specialist is ready to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today so that we can get to work helping you.
Adoption Choices of Missouri serves birth parents statewide and beyond, please call us or text us to learn more! Call us toll free at 877-903-4488 or, in Missouri call or text us at 1-816-527-9800
Meet the Author: Kelly Felix is a graduate from the University of New Orleans. She holds a BA in English as well as a BA in Sociology. Her English concentration is in journalism, and her specialties in sociology are gender studies and environmental sociology.
When she isn’t voraciously guzzling coffee or devouring books, Kelly can be found either bent over a canvas working on her art or at her computer playing video games. She has hands-on classroom teaching experience from her time working as a substitute teacher for Kelly Services. Kelly also completed an in-house editorial internship at Pelican Publishing Company, and she finished the goal internship program at Green Light New Orleans. Kelly generally exists in a state of suspended disbelief, but when she’s not there she resides in New Orleans.