Five of the Most Common Adoption Misconceptions about Birth Mothers in Missouri
If you are a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy and considering adoption, you probably already have to deal with people in your life making assumptions about you. You may even have some incorrect adoption expectations yourself. That is exactly why Adoption Choices of Missouri is here to help you navigate your unplanned pregnancy. Your adoption specialist will work with you to help you break free of all those common adoption misconceptions.
The Top 5 Most Common Adoption Misconceptions about Birth Mothers in Missouri
- The most common adoption stereotype: the unwed pregnant teenager. While there are still many unwed teenagers facing an unwanted pregnancy, many of the birth mothers who choose adoption are neither underage nor unmarried. In fact, many birth mothers who choose adoption are married women in their late 20’s or early 30’s. Many of these women already have children and families but cannot handle the financial strain, time constraints, or simply just don’t have enough energy to raise another baby.Whether you are a pregnant teenager or are already a mom in your 30’s, it is no one’s business but your own why you are choosing adoption. Even if you are a pregnant teenager seeking help for your unexpected pregnancy, that’s OK too! Whatever your reason for choosing adoption is, it is a perfectly good and valid reason.
- That closed adoptions are the most common type of adoption. A closed adoption is when the birth mother does not leave any identifying contact information with the adoptive family. It is usually the stereotype that goes hand in hand with the unwed pregnant teenager. But this is far from the truth. Open adoptions are actually the most common type of adoption in the U.S. today. In an open adoption, birth mothers, their baby, and the adoptive family keep in touch with each other throughout the years. This takes place through phone calls, texts and emails, and even in-person visits. Our adoption agency in Missouri strongly encourages open adoptions because we believe that they keep everyone’s best interests at heart.
- When people say that you are “giving up” your baby for adoption instead of “placing” or “putting up” your baby for adoption. One of the most common adoption misconceptions about birth mothers in Missouri is that birth mothers are giving up by choosing adoption. Please remember that adoption is not giving up. Instead, you are doing the opposite by performing a caring and selfless act of love on your part for the benefit of your baby. After all, what is a more noble act than you sacrificing your gift of parenthood for the wellbeing of your baby? That is why we like to say that our birth mothers place their baby for adoption instead of saying “giving up” your baby for adoption.
- That there are no resources or financial assistance for birth mothers. Of course, we provide resources for our birth mothers! That is one of the main reasons why our adoption agency even exists in the first place! Our adoption agency is a full-service, licensed adoption agency. This means that we offer a variety of financial assistance for birth mothers. This financial assistance covers things like transportation costs, living expenses, medical care, emotional support resources, and even legal representation.
- That it’s easy for birth mothers to “just move on” after the adoption process is completed. This one is simply not true. Most birth mothers find themselves facing some sort of grief over the loss of parenthood that accompanies adoption. This is exactly why our adoption agency provides post-placement resources like emotional support counseling. We value our birth mothers, and this means providing support and a shoulder to cry on even after the adoption process is completed.
If You Need Unexpected Pregnancy Help, Don’t Hesitate to Call
The sooner you call us, the quicker our adoption caseworkers at Adoption Choices of Missouri can get to work helping you. Whether you need help answering basic adoption questions or help to deal with the most common adoption misconceptions about birth mothers in Missouri, our adoption agency is ready and waiting to help you today. Do not wait too long to begin making your adoption plan. Our adoption specialists are on standby to begin helping you with your adoption plan as soon as possible.